Wednesday 13 March 2013

Growing our own



I have been spending time with Asa's class at school digging, making drills, holes and planting out seeds and sets in their vegetable bed. We are very lucky to have a vegetable bed for each class and even the little kindergarten children have one too

So far we have planted out
Onion sets
Yellow and white carrots
Ruby red beets
Lettuce
Peas

Having grown our own veg at the cottage I feel confident in what to do but there are two new vegetables I want to try this year, tomatoes (I know not technically a fruit!) and potatoes

I have stumbled across a blog by Pete, he is Jamie Oliver's gardener and has some great advice and tips, go see

Two books which Barry and I always go back to are The complete book of self sufficiency by John Seymour  and Grow your own  veg by Carol Klein

My best tips with growing any vegetables are to just give it a go, don't worry if you don't do everything perfectly, plants are much tougher than you think and little & often, try to spend half an hour a few times a week weeding and watering your little beauties

Take care, Natalie xx


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...